Body
 68-70 B-body Rear Window Trim Installation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Rick

78 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  11:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suggest always installing new moulding clips. Because they are screwed in place they must
be installed BEFORE the glass. Breaking a used clip while installing mouldings can ruin your
weekend!

I start with the lower strips first. The one with the stepped end first and then the one that slides into it. The upper pieces are last... same way, stepped one first. These can be a nightmare! The lower corners have a tendancy to pop up.

A couple tricks that help with this problem, along with a bucket load of patience:

1. I made a special tool to reshape the edge on the moulding that the clips grab. Often this
edge becomes bent outward or otherwise misformed.
The tool is made from an ordinary vise-grips and has 16ga. 1 1/4in. x 2 1/2in. "bills" welded to
it. This is used to straighten the moulding edge without damaging the outer visible area. Sometimes
it helps to "tweek" the angle inward slightly too.

2. Another trick that can help is to give the moulding a twist (while off the car). This will
give it a slight "preload" causing it to pull the corner down and keep it from popping up.
This is especially helpful with manhandled moulding that were difficult to get off because of Chrysler's sealer compound.

AND finally, if you think fitting these are bad on your own car, imagine doing it on a customer's car where you have to bill for "simply popping on the rear window trim"!!!

Rick
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Restorations by Rick Kreuziger © 2000-04 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page